Due: 28/03/17 (Issued: 23/03/17)
Title: “Dangerous Predator” Analysis
Turn the bullet points you have written down into a single paragraph.
- Use a keypoint to agree to the question about Maurice being a “dangerous predator”
- Identify and use your evidence
- Use discourse markers, determiner and pronouns to turn the separate bullet points into a single unified paragraph
- You will have to change some of the words to make the grammar work effectively
Maurice looked like a sleek killing machine.
- This is a simile
- “Sleek” is an adjective
- “killing” is a gerund
- “machine” is a noun
- The writer is likening Maurice to a mechanised, unthinking thing
- The adjective “sleek” suggests Maurice is streamlined and effective at killing
- The noun phrase “killing machine” represents Maurice as designed to kill
- Everything about Maurice is described in terms of him being a “dangerous predator”
- The reader infers that Maurice is very good at the art of murder and therefore is an efficient killer
- The reader imagines Maurice’s preparations to kill, as if every part of him is now honed and ready to destroy.
- His dangerous nature is emphasised and his effectiveness seems to consolidate the idea of his being a particularly “dangerous predator”