If it’s a reading / analysis question
- are you being asked to TAP the text?
- Text-type (what form is the text in? Think about its structure)
- Audience (who is the intended audience? Think about its content)
- Purpose (why was is written? To describe, explain, instruct, inform, persuade?)
- always structure your answer using RACERS
- be analytical and analyse all of the text / extract provided, inferring meaning
If it’s a writing / creative question
- be clear about TAP (as above) – if there is a particular format you need to write in, make sure you know what it is and how to do it
- consider your perspective, focus, pace and atmosphere.
- LINK TO STRUCTURAL FEATURES TO FOLLOW